Image

Image
Click on image to return to main menu

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Desert Rose Chapter 14 - 16


Desert Rose – Chapter 14


ARNAV looked at the worried faces of Anjali and Akash, as they stepped into his room, Shyam in tow.He had arrived at the Haveli a few minutes ago and was just about to refresh himself before lunch.
‘What happened?’ he asked them, taking off his coat.
‘Mamiji is dead against this match Chotte,’ said Anjali in a low voice.
Arnav looked at Akash and asked him, ‘Did you tell her Payal is expecting your baby?’
Akash was silent. ‘Why the hell not?’ demanded Arnav.
‘As soon as I told her about Payal, she got hysterical and fainted,’ said Akash, ‘after that I didn’t get a chance to tell her as she refuses to speak to me.’
In other words he hadn’t been able to summon up the courage to stand up to his mother. ‘What about Nani?’ he asked.
‘Nani has no problem with Payal,’ Anjali said a little enthusiasm entering her voice. ‘She met Payal and Khushiji and loved both the girls on sight. I guess their Lucknow connection worked in their favour here. But even she has been unable to convince mamiji.’
‘You know what Akash?’ Arnav said looking at the pale face of his brother, ‘You told me the other day that you don’t really need my blessings. I would suggest you say the same thing to your mother as well.’
‘Bhai, I am sorry about that --- I really am,’ he said with a catch in his throat, ‘you have got to help me.’
‘Why me?  Arnav demanded, acrimoniously. ‘Take the people who decided to bring mamiji here to solve the problem,’ he said without looking at Anjali. He stepped into the bathroom and shut the door with a bang.

Later, that night, Arnav was summoned to mami’s room. As he entered the room, he found nani, Anjali and Shyam assembled there. There seemed to be an awkward silence in the room, all their faces sombre, while his sister looked a shade paler.
‘What happened?’ he asked for the second time that day. ‘Is this about Akash and Payal?’
‘Arnav bitwa, all these people have been trying to convince me to get Akash married to that girl,’ she lamented.  ‘You are one person who understands me very well. You have to help me here.’
‘Well mami …..I think that ___’ he began only to be cut off by mamiji.
‘How can I get my only son married to a girl whose sister is so ….wanton?’
‘What the ___?’ said Arnav in disbelief.What the f@#$ was mami talking about?
‘Chotte….. mamiji …. apparently heard some …..rumours from her relatives in Katariasar,’ Anjali managed to say.
‘What rumours?’ he asked, his voice icy, his brown orbs glinting dangerously.
Anjali hesitated, looking utterly uncomfortable. But mamiji had no such trouble. ‘It’s about that girl and you,Arnav bitwa,’shebeganin her shrill voice,‘I believe,you took her to Keshav’s house for the Sangeet ceremony? Some relatives of mine, who happened to be present there, thought you had married and were offended that they were not invited to the wedding.’
‘What the f@#$!’ This time Arnav couldn’t stop himself from swearing, expressing his exasperation.
‘Chotte!’ admonished nani, ‘you forget that this is Raisar, not Delhi. Here you cannot simply take a girl out to other people’s ceremonies unless you are married or betrothed to her. You come from a royal lineage and you have a certain reputation to maintain.’
‘My relatives will not let me live this down,’ cried mamiji, ‘how am I going to show my face when I visit the next time?’
Arnav knew that mami was making a mountain out of a mole hill. If the situation was not so serious he would have laughed his head off.  ‘That’s it? I can’t take a girl to a ceremony?’ Arnav asked his face wrought with disbelief, ‘this is the 21st century for God’s sake!’
‘Umm… there another thing,’ began Shyam hesitatingly, ‘Guman….Bhairav’ nephew saw you at the Desert Festival, holding Khushiji’s hand and then later he saw you entering the tent carrying Khushiji…..’ Shyam stopped as Anjali clutched his hand.
‘Shyam!’ she cried as she looked at Arnav with fear.
‘Rani Sahiba, isn’t it better to hear this from me rather than some outsider?’he said looking at Arnav’s reaction surreptitiously. ‘It’s not that I believe it. Not one bit. In fact, I have strictly warned him not to spread such rumours.’
B@#$%^*!’ Arnav swore under his breath. ‘I don’t care what anyone thinks!’ he spat out in, his eyes trained on Shyam, ‘what I do with my life is nobody’s concern.’
‘That might be true for you, saalesaab’ Shyam interposed, ‘but it is Khushiji’s reputation that is at stake here.’
‘After knowing this I definitely cannot allow my son to marry the sister of girl whose reputation is tarnished!’mamiji declared dramatically.
‘Manorama!’exclaimed naniji, ‘we don’t even know if what damadji heard was the truth.’
‘I am sorry saasuma,’ said mamiji relentless in her resolve, ‘Going by Arnav bitwa’s reputation, this may not really be too far from the truth. Just being seen with him is enough.’
‘Mamiji!Manorama!’Both Anjali and naniji exclaimed in unison at mami’sinsulting comment.
Mami went on with her tirade. ‘I agree that Akash bitwahas made a mistake….. but I attribute that  to lack of proper role model after having lost his father at very young age.
‘I will not let him pay for that one little mistake.’
Anjali looked at Arnav, his face drained of all colour as his whole body shook with anger.He turned around and strode away from the room, without looking back at anyone, only one sentence stuck in his head. Lack of proper role model…….

Anjali knocked on the door to Arnav’s room,as he sat on his bed, his head in his hands. ‘I am sorry, Chotte.’ Anjali said in a low voice. ‘It’s all my fault.’
‘Di ____’ he returned, only to be cut off by her.
‘Let me finish Chotte,’ she said, a catch in her voice, ‘you have to know that it was my idea to send Khushiji out with you that day.’
‘What?’
‘Yes, I was the one who convinced her that it was the only way to let Akash and Payal meet,’ she said evenly, ‘I also told her there was no time as you were planning to take Akash to the States for treatment.’
‘F@#$!’
‘I am sorry Chotte, I was so blinded by the idea of helping Akash that I didn’t think for a moment how you would feel.’ She said, tears streaming down her face.
‘Di, please don’t cry,’ he said coming up to her. ‘You should know something as well. I was going to let Akash and Payal meet that day.’
‘Oh God!’Anjali was horrified.
‘That night, I was upset that you had played a role in this,’ he continued,‘but I have had some time to think over it and realized that you only had Akash’s happiness in mind.’
‘Thanks Chotte,’ she exclaimed, hugging him tight. She raised her head and cupped his cheek affectionately as she said, ‘Now you should forgive Khushiji as well.’
Arnav turned away from her, his body stiffening, ‘I don’t want to talk about it Di.’
‘But Chotte ___’
‘Please Di …… I know how to handle this,’ he said cutting her off, ‘We have had a stressful day. I think you should go to sleep.’
‘Chotte…’ she paused, ‘you are good brother.’ She said, reminding him about mami’s hurtful words.
‘Di….’
‘No Chotte, I am you older sister and let me say it,’ she said her eyes flashing with pride. ‘You and I know how you took care of this family, giving up your dreams and aspirations.
‘Don’t you ever let a bunch of freeloaders tell you otherwise, do you hear me?’
‘Di?’ aske Arnav a mischievous smile entering his lips as he said, ‘are you by any chance calling yourself a freeloader?’
‘Yes and I don’t mind it!’ she said emphatically, ‘Iam staying under the roof of a person who I love most in the world and I am proud of it,’ she said, her infectious smile lighting up her entire face.
‘Quiet Di….. lest your husband should hear it.’ He joked through his unshed tears.
‘It’s ok…..he knows.’ Anjali said wiping the tears from her face.

Shyam turned away from Arnav’s door, seething, their mutual admiration for each other disgusting him to no end.He thought about this morning when Arnav had taunted him for bringing in mamiji. How dare he talk like that? He had no respect for his brother-in-law or older sister. Just because he was the owner of the house it didn’t mean that he should treat everyone like subordinates. He had tried to talk to Anjali about that but she had covered up for her brother as usual. Their closeness nauseated him.
It was his bad luck that mamiji turned out be a clamours bitch. She had completely shot down Akash, Anjali and then later him as well, when he had tried to intervene. Thoughts of closing his hands around her throat had crossed his mind at one point. He would have probably convinced her in time, but his dearest wife had panicked and called her brother yesterday. He had promised Khushi that he would help her. He hit his fist against the wall in frustration. He hadn’t even seen her today, because of this drama, missing the daily routine of visiting the guest house with Anjali.
But he had to give it to mamiji for putting Arnav in his place. He had derived a sadistic pleasure from his brother-in-law’s disparagement. He deserved that and lots more. He was sick and tired of him taking away all the laurels since he was in college. He realized the matter had just got a lot tougher, especially in lieu of the rumours. Their attendance at a Sangeet was understandable, but their activities in the Desert Festival, was unexpected, if not from Arnav, at least from Khushi. And if he hadn’t heard it from Guman himself, he wouldn’t have believed it.
On the other hand, it made things easier for him didn’t it? He knew for a fact that Arnav wasn’t the committing type. He would be there for Khushi when Arnav discarded her like used tissue.

**

The next morning, Khushi walked into Arnav’s office with trepidation. It was a week since that fateful night and her heart skipped a beat, as she saw him, his head bent over his lap top. An errant lock lay on his forehead, escaping the confines of his neatly combed hair, making her want to run her hands through it. As he looked up from his laptop memories of that night came back, suffusing her entire body in heat from her head to toe, her heart beating wildly in her breast.
Arnav eyes reflected the same conundrumas he took in her simple purple kurti, her hair pulled back from her face with clips, braided into a simple plaitthat fell delicately down her breast. When he looked at her make-up free face, he was reminded once again how blatantly young and beautiful she was. He quickly moved up his eyes to look into hers, his mouth tightened into a grim line, as he caught the sadness in them.
‘Sit.’ he saidhuskily,
Khushi sat down on the chair and Arnav came round to her, went down on his haunches and picked up her foot,placing on his thigh to inspect it.
‘That has healed,’ she said softly, as she pulled her feet back from his grasp. It is the wound in the heart that hasn’t healed, she added silently. ‘You wanted to talk to me?’ she asked him hurriedly not wanting to linger at the joy she felt at his concern.
‘Looks like your sacrifices are not going to go waste after all,’ he saidgruffly, as he stood up, his face stoic.
‘What do you mean?’ she asked him constrictedly.
‘You said you did what was best for Akash and Payal.’ He said reminding her about her parting lines. ‘And that has paid off, I should say, because Akash and Payal will get married after all.’
His cruel words were twisting the knife that was already lodged in her heart, but she pushed the feeling aside when she asked him, ‘I thought mamiji was not happy with the alliance.’
‘Yes, she is still not happy.’ He looked directly at her. ‘But she could be convinced.’
‘Oh?’ Khushi said, looking a little sceptical, ‘Payal will be happy.’
‘But before you call the band baaja,’ he said mockingly, ‘let me tell you that there is one condition.’ 
Of course! thought Khushi exasperated. She knew there had to be a catch somewhere. ‘What condition?’ she asked him warily.
‘You will marry me.’
Khushi wasn’t sure she had heard right. ‘What?’ she asked him her eyes going wide as saucers. ‘Are you joking?’
‘Do I look like I am joking?’ he countered, ‘Do you usually behave like this when you receive a proposal?’
‘If the proposal sounds more like a business deal --- yes!’ she said emphatically.
‘Were you expecting me to get down on my knees?’ he asked her, lacing his tone with sarcasm.
‘No,’ she said thickly. ‘I would never expect that from someone like you.’ she added contemptuously.
‘I thought someone like you wouldn’t be averse to this -- condition --- under the circumstances.’
Her anger rose as the meaning of what he was saying sunk into her. ‘What has it got to do with Payal and Akash’s marriage?’
‘I don’tfind it necessary to explain.’
She wanted to tell him what he could do with his “condition”.‘Then my answer is no!’
‘What’s your frigging problem Khushi?’ he asked her arrogantly, ‘You found yourself a rich man. You would not have to work for the rest of your life. You are just playing hardball, aren’t you?
‘Unless…,’ He paused, ‘You have some rich fool waiting for you back in Delhi.’
The image of her neighbour Suraj, owner of a sweet meat stall in Laskhminagar, flashed before her eyes, a flash of pain crossing her face as she remembered his sweet proposal.
‘F@#$!’ Arnav swore, a bewildering anger enveloping him, as he saw her face.‘You left some loser hanging in Delhi, with the hope that you will marry him some day?’ he asked derisively.
‘Surajji is a good man from a good family,’ she said, emphatically, confirming his doubts.
‘Do you love him?’ he asked her his voice dangerously quiet.
‘Someone recently told me that love is highly overrated,’ she said, the pain in her heart increasing, ‘But, between you and him, I’d rather marry him,’ she declared her face stoic.
‘Is that right?’ he said, his face hardening, his eyes dark smouldering coals. ‘Do you think this good man from a good family will still want to marry you after he finds out about your steamy Arabian Nights escapade in the desert?’
Khushi went very still. ‘You wouldn’t dare…’
‘Try me.’ He said laconically.
‘What else can I expect from a man who has lost all ability to feel?’ she said scathingly.
‘Yes, you are absolutely right.’ He said, still staring hard at her, ‘and you of all people should know the reason for that.’
They stared at each other for countless seconds, and then he broke the silence. ‘Don’t beat yourself over it. You can go back to your loser.But while you are at it, take your sister with you.’ he added softly.
‘We should I?’ she shot back. ‘Akashji promised to marry Payal with or without your blessings.’
Arnav was not too happy with the reminder. ‘You should know something about your would-be brother-in-law. Akash didn’t show any inclination to work after his bachelor’s degree until I pushed him to start at AR a few months ago, result of too much pampering, no doubt.
‘Don’t get me wrong, he is good at heart. But he is not capable of earning a single pie if he gets out of AR.’
‘You sound like a hindi movie dad now’ she smirked, though she was a little taken aback by this revelation.
He ignored her comment as he continued, ‘That is one of the reasons I was against this match,’ he said evenly.‘I knew that he needed some more time to settle down, to grow up into a responsible individual.’
‘But you were planning his marriage!’ she said, remembering what Anjali had told her when she had come to meet her at the hotel.
‘It was his mother who had planned it. Not me.’
‘I am sure Akashji will do fine once you stop mollycoddling him.’ She said adamantly.
‘I wish Akash had the same confidence, you have in him Khushi.’ Arnav said, lacing his tone with sarcasm.
 ‘Shyamji has also promised to help.’Khushi said desperately.
‘Again, I admire your confidence in someone you met three days ago,’ he said with a barely controlled temper. ‘Nevertheless, I accept your decision and wish you all the best. ‘You may leave now.’ He said curtly, as he went back to work on his laptop, dismissing her.
As soon Khushi left Arnav poured himself a drink, his whole body wrought with tension. His thoughts went back to the night in Delhi, couple of days ago.

He sat in the office of Raizada Mansion working on his laptop. He shut it down with a bang and picked up the glass of vodka tonic on the table, gulping it down in one go. He hoped the burning liquid would help him forget. It was almost a week since he had left Raisar, but thoughts of Khushi haunted him every night, disturbing his sleep. Once, he had this weird feeling that she had called out to him. F@#$! He slapped the glass back on the table.
He heard a knock and looked up to see Ria at the door. She was dressed in a short, figure hugging hot pink dress. ‘Hi ASR, I brought the portfoliosof the designers.’ She walked in with a case, swaying her hips, her stilettos beating out a staccato rhythm on the hardwood floor.
 ‘What?’ he said gruffly, not particularly happy about being brought out of his reverie. ‘Ah right…. the ethnic collection,’ he said remembering.‘But we aren’t hiring the designer until later this month. There was no hurry.’
‘Oh it was no trouble ASR,’ she purred, giving him a coquettish smile, as she put the case on the table.
‘I am sure you are getting late for a dinner or a party,’ he said when she started walking around the table to him. ‘I won’t keep you.’
‘Why don’t you come with me?’ she said as she sat on the table next to his lap top, the hem of her dress riding up her thigh.
He moved his chair back and stood up, moving around the table to pick up the portfolio. ‘Now that you brought me some work, I think I will take a look right away.You carry on.’
‘Something has changed,’ she told him sliding off the table to face him across it. ‘You have avoided me since you came back.’
‘What are you talking about?’ he said without looking up, rifling through the file, sounding bored.
 ‘Is it because of that girl at the hotel in Bikaner?’ she asked sharply.
Arnav looked up at her his eyes beginning to simmer, ‘That is none of your business!’ he rasped. ‘Look Ria, I am a little stressed out right now,’ he said trying to keep his cool, ‘I will see you at work tomorrow, alright.’
‘I knew it!’ she spat out, her voice rising up shrilly. ‘The way you were staring at her while she was dancing….. you found yourself some new to entertain you.’
‘Enough Ria!’ he warned her.
‘She didn’t seem your type though,’ she went on, ‘the way she was dressed, with those glasses and everything. There must be only one reason you are so smitten.’
‘I think you should leave…..NOW.’
She went continued, ‘She must be good in ___’
‘Don’t you dare talk about her like that!’ he thundered.
‘So it is true then,’ she smirked.‘You used me ASR!’ she raged on.
‘Shut your goddamn mouth!’ he said his voice so icy it sent shivers up her spine. ‘Who the hell are you? Don’t forget you work for me. You only got this job because your father begged me to give it to you, and I obliged him because he was my old client. You knew you weren’t competent enough for this job. So, you decided to use your “charm” to sustain it. You think I don’t know you have been sleeping around with your assistant Kunal, so he does all your work? And that you don’t think twice before hooking up with our clients after a dinner meeting?
‘I am not sure if you are just so naïve that you don’t realize that these things don’t get you anywhere in the long run or if this has become another habit. So let’s not talk about who is “using” whom. Now get the hell out of here!’

What was with all these women? First, Khushi and his sister had conspired against him, Ria had tried to manipulate him into feeling guilt, mamihad blatantly pointed fingers at his character and then Khushi had rejected his proposal. He raked his hands across his hair as his attention moved to the box that had been lying on his table since morning……
 The small shoe sized box had arrived via courier. It belonged to Lavanya. Mrs D’Souza, Lavanya’s old housekeeper had sent over Lavanya’s personal effects over to him as she was moving away to Goa to live with her sister.He had opened up Pandora ’s Box few days ago, when he had told Khushi about Lavanya. He was not ready to open another one.
He picked up the full glass and hurled it with all his might, shattering it to smithereens as it crashed against the wall.He had had enough of these neurotic women.
Damn you Khushi!

Desert Rose – Chapter 15


You will marry me.
Khushi replayed the words Arnav had said to her, over and over again, as she stood making jalebis later that evening. He had just said it with as much emotion as announcing a merger.
Her thoughts went back to the night in the desert. Things had gone downhill after their lovemaking, when he had found out she was not the sophisticated older woman, who knew what she was getting into when she had asked to go out with him.
 Later, the situation had worsened when he had found out about her deception. His intense anger had been palpable when he had not minced words in letting her know exactly what he thought of her and then he had just up and left for Delhi for one whole week.
Why was he asking her to marry him, now?
What had happened between them was mutual, and did not put him under any obligation to marry her, especially, in the world he came from. His conscience wasn’t bothering him all of a sudden, was it?
Suddenly, hearinga loud crash coming from the direction of Payal’s room, Khushi rushed toward her bedroom, panic seizing her heart. But before she could touch the door, already slightly ajar, she heard Akash’s voice. ‘Payal, please calm down,’ he implored, ‘God, I wish I hadn’t told you anything. I finally told mother about our baby and that I will walk out of the house if she didn’t allow me to marry you, alright?’ He paused.
‘All I am saying is that life will be very tough if I walk out, especially with the baby coming. If only bhai relents and helps us, everything will be fine.’ He sighed.
Then Khushi heard Akash talking on the phone that had been ringing for a while now.‘Oh no!’He exclaimed loudly, ‘Di just called…… mom took something … she is unconscious. Manav is on the way. I have to go home Payal.’ Hestepped out of the room, his face an anguished mask, as he rushed out the house.
Khushi opened the door to Payal’s room and walked up to her, ‘Payal…..’ she whispered.
‘Everything is over Khushi……. Akash ….and I will never be able to marry now.’ Payal said between sobs.
‘Shh…..jiji everything will be ok…… I promise,’ said Khushi soothingly, as she took her sister in her arms, rocking her until she calmed down. After a few minutes, she tucked her under the covers, switched off the light and stepped out of the room.
Later that night, Khushi paced about the bedroom, feeling restless. She went to the french doors, looking in the direction of the green house. She dialled Arnav’s number.

A few minutes later, Khushi heard a rap on the french doors of her bedroom and was shocked to see Arnav standing there. ‘How did you get here so soon?’ she asked him,as she opened the French doors, her dhak-dhak starting as she tried not to stare at how handsome he looked in the white t-shirt and jeans.
‘I was in green house when you called,’ he said, leading her toward the edger of the terrace, ‘I came on my bike,’ he addedpointing to the Royal Enfield that stood on the ground below.
 ‘How is mamiji?’ she asked him, her brows creased with worry.
‘Don’t tell me you called me all the way here just to enquire about mami’s health?’ he asked mockingly.
‘Arnavji!’ Khushi admonished,‘Please! I saw how disturbed Akashji was when he left here few hours ago. I put my sister down to sleep with great difficulty,’ she paused before asking in a low voice,‘Did she try to …..to  kill herself?’
‘She took ……something,’ he said carefully,‘But Manav came and took care of it. She is fine now.’
‘Arnavji,’ Khushi clutched Arnav’s hand urgently,‘I am really sorry for what happened.Please…..you have to help.’
He looked at her hand clutching his arm, ‘I was going to allow Akash and Payal to meet ---the day we went out,’ he said his brown eyes boring into hers steadily. ‘That is what I came to tell you that morning.’
‘What?’ Khushi stepped back,‘Why didn’t you tell me?’ she asked in an anguished whisper.
‘You said, you wanted to negotiate --- what was I supposed to think? I thought you wanted to take the money and leave.’
‘Oh God!’
‘I am ready to talk to mami ---,’ he said carefully measuring his words, ‘---if you agree to my condition.’
Khushi looked at him, her almond eyes luminous as she asked him, ‘Why in the world do you want to marry me?’
Arnav looked at Khushi, his eyes sweeping her from top to toe. A few strands of her hair fell across her face making her look vulnerable. Even with her face creased with worry, she looked exquisitely beautiful. Doesn’t she look at herself in the mirror?
 ‘Why the hell would anyone in his right mind not want to marry you?’
Khushi was taken aback by his enigmatic reply. ‘I told you --- I don’t plan to do any such thing!’ she turned away from him. ‘I --- I don’t even like you.’
‘Liking has nothing to do with it,’ he shot out, his temper rising up a notch. ‘Nani and Di have been pressuring me to marry for a long time now. You are suitable. Very suitable. So we’ll get married.’
‘Oh God!’ she struggled against the tears. ‘I can’t believe you would marry some woman because she is --- suitable.’
‘You asked me a question and I answered it for you,’ he said gruffly staring at her turned back,‘I am sorry it is not to your liking. Anyway, it is your choice. If you are done, I will get going.’
Khushi’s mind was racing. When she had agreed to Anjali’s plan, she had told herself that the end justified the means. But in reality, she had sold her soul to the devil, for her sister’s happiness. And now the devil was collecting his dues. Marriage under different circumstances might be heaven with this man. But not under compulsion. Not a dictatorial ‘You suit my requirements.’
‘I’ll marry you,’ she said through clenched teeth. ‘But you’ll not get any pleasure out of it Mr.Raizada.’
‘Ah, how nice. And how enthusiastic,’ he retorted. ‘You overwhelm me with your desires.’
She stood in stony silence.
‘Alright then, it’s a deal,’ he said brusquely.‘Be ready tomorrow at ten o’ clock. I will come pick you up.’ He walked towardthe stone steps that would lead him down.
‘To….tomorrow?’ she asked him as she whirled around in surprise.
‘Yes, tomorrow.’ He paused in his stride.‘There is just one more thing to do.’
He turned around, walking toward her like a hunting animal in the jungle. Alarmed, Khushi backed up, struggling to calm her heart which had begun to clamour wildly. ‘What else?’ she whispered.
‘It’s a poor bargain if we don’t seal it with a kiss, my sweet Desert Rose,’ he said, his chocolate eyes resplendent with flecks of gold. He pushed her back against the French doors, pinning her body against his, as his soft, sweet lips came down on hers, his tongue entering her mouth to explore its warm recesses, slowly but surely,sending a shaft of familiar jolt right down to the pit of her stomach.She lost herself in the glory of it, savouring every second until she was no longer passive in his arms, but had become a participant.
His hands swept down the swell of her breasts coming to rest just below the inward swell of her waist, and pulled her lower body forward into his hardness. Her own hands fluttered at his neck, shoulders, and finally slipped into the crisp hair at the back of his head. And when he broke contact with his lips she huddled closer, resting her head on his chest, listening to nothing in the world but his heartbeat.
For a moment she drew back, as she thought of the endearment he had used for her…..Desert Rose. The words he had said to her the other night came back to her ----
Tell me how it was, my Desert Rose, with your saint’s eyes and sinner’s body….
Her long, slender fingers pushed against him, and he let her go. She took two steps backwards, looked up at his hard face, and whimpered.
‘Khushi?’ he asked his as he struggled to catch his breath.
‘Don’t touch me.’ She said her eyes filling with tears.‘I am marrying you for Payal’s sake and nothing else.’
‘Ekhazaaronmeinmeribehanahai…..’ he said, his tone laced with sarcasm,‘I get it….don’t worry I am not that desperate.’
She whirled away farther, stabbed at her clouded eyes, and ran. She stepped into her bedroom and shut the doors, shutting him out.
Of course he wasn’t desperate. Why would he be, when he had women like Ria Chopra, who would be ready to worship the ground he walked on --- marital status notwithstanding?

As the car passed by the city of Bikaner, Khushi realized nothing had changed in the little over two weeks that she had been here. The enchanting desert city was the same, bustling with tourists and its bright cheerful people, its undulating lanes, the market place alive with music and dance.Khushi looked woefully at the colourful bazaars, remembering how she had promised herself a visit.
But she had changed. She was no longer Khushi Kumari Gupta. She was Khushi Singh Raizada. She had gone along blindly with what he asked, as though hypnotized. They had solemnized their marriage facing a registrar, with two of Arnav’s office workers acting as witnesses. Right after that, Arnav had fastened a mangalsutra around her neck followed by the application of sindoor.
Emerging into the hot afternoon sunshine with the man who was now her husband, she thought for the first time in hours, of Payal, trying to imagine her reaction to the news.
Her job! She would have to call Mrs Malhotra and tell to hire a replacement for her.
And she would have to call Suraj. He was a friend and that was the least she could do. How did she explain something she barely understood herself? shethought despairingly.

A little later, Khushi and Arnav stood in the grand living room, facing the stunned family members. Nani, Anjali and Shyam stood looking at them,utterly speechless, while Arnav announced that they were married, legally, in the court of law.
‘This is a ….surprize!’  Anjali said slowly walking up to them, ‘But definitely a pleasant one,’ she added, breaking into a tearful smile as she hugged her brother, ‘I have always dreamed of this day, Chotte, I am so happy for you.’
She turned toward Khushi, ‘Khushiji… I can’t think of a better girl for my brother,’ she said taking her in an embrace, ‘welcome to the family.’
‘Both, of you should take nani’s blessings now,’ Anajli said, as she ushered them toward her, silently imploringher grandmother for understanding.
Naniji, acceded, acknowledging Anjali with a slight nod, as she blessed the newly married couple with eyes filled with tears.
Akash came up and hugged Arnav, muttering his congratulations, still looking a little dazed, as Shyam stood in a stony silence.
‘Let’s go visit with mami now,’ Arnav said leading the way toward mamiji’s room.
Arnav announced the news of their marriage to a surprized mami. When she refused to acknowledge Khushi who had come up to her to touch her feet, he requested everyone to leave the room so he could have a private conversation with her.

‘What have you done Arnav bitwa?’ mamiji cried, just after Arnav had closed the door to the room.
‘Isn’t that obvious?’ said Arnav,nonchalant, as he walked back to face her.
‘But….why?’ she said astounded.
‘Why do people around the world get married mami? ’ he said, his lips twisted in smirk, ‘You aren’t expecting me to spell it out for you, are you?’
‘Arnav bitwa!’
‘Alright, I will come to the point,’ he said affably, ‘now that Khushi is a Raizadabahu, you shouldn’t have any problems accepting her sister as your daughter-in-law.’
He paused looking at her ashen face, ‘I would appreciate it if you could give Akash and Payal your blessings.’
‘Never!’ she spat out vehemently.
‘Excuse me?’ said Arnav raising an eye brow, as he stared at his aunt.
‘I will not accept a girl who gets pregnant out of wedlock!’ she grated.
‘Mami! It is Akash who is responsible for that!’ he shot back.
‘I don’t believe it,’ she said calmly, ‘She is lying.’
‘I don’t think so,’ Arnav said his voice firm, ‘If it would make you feel better to know---I had them investigated.’
‘So you had your doubts too, didn’t you?’ mamijiasked him sharply.
‘I did in the beginning, but not anymore,’ he replied sincerely.
‘Of course you don’t!’ exclaimed mamiji spitefully,‘that shameless hussy mesmerized you with her ----’
‘Mami!’ Arnav cut her off sharply, ‘don’t you ever talk about my wife like that again,’ he said, histone dangerously low.
‘Look….,’ he calmed down and tried a different route, ‘They are very attached to each other. I think you know it was Payal who brought Akash out of the amnesia.’
 ‘I would never let my son marry that low-class penniless waif,’ she declared vociferously, ‘how can I --- when there will be girls from royal families lined up for him?’
‘Ah that’s exactly what’s bothering you!’ he spat out trying to control the immense rage that assailed him. It was time to bring her down from her lofty ideals. ‘It is Iwho comes from royal lineage.So the girls from the royal families are basically lining up for the Raizada name that I insisted that Akash should have after mamaji passed away.’
The reminder was like a splash of cold water on mami. She decided to play her trump card. ‘Thanks for showing us our place, Arnav bitwa,’ she said, her nose flared up in anger, ‘however, I am his mother and I will decide who he will or will not marry!’
Arnav looked at mami, temper simmering in his eyes as he said, ‘You are right mami. You are his mother and you have the right to decide ---,’ he paused,‘ – but not under my roof.’
‘What?’ she said, shocked out of her wits, ‘are you asking me to leave this house? you can’t do that!’
‘Why not?’ he asked her smoothly, ‘this is neither you husband’s house, your father’s nor for the matter of fact – yours.’
‘Where will I go?’ she asked her face pale as ash.
‘Back to where you came from --- to your relatives in Katariasar.’
Mami’s face was getting redder by the minute.  ‘But my brother’s house is too ---’
‘Small?’ Arnav finished for her, ‘you know what they say about people in glass houses ……it doesn’t suit you to be talking about other people’s class and financial status.
‘Just because you live in luxury here, with servants at your beck and call, it doesn’t give you a right to be condescending.If you want to continue enjoying the benefits you receive here, I would suggest you give your blessings to Akash and Payal. ’
‘I wish I had died yesterday instead of having to listen to these insults!’ she cried out.
‘About yesterday……..’ said Arnav, ‘next time you want to get knocked out, please feel free to borrow from my liquor cabinet.’
‘I …I was going to …die and here you are joking about it!’mamiji stuttered.
‘No one dies of a little cough syrup overdose mami,’ he said looking at her as she once again paled visibly, ‘Manav took the bottle of “poison” for analysis yesterday…..’ he left the sentence hanging when he caught mamiji’s guilty look.
‘So mami, I will leave you to get on with the wedding preparations then,’ said Arnav walking out of the room, leaving a stunned mamiji staring after him.

Khushi gazed out into the bare landscape, seated in the passenger seat of the car,as Shyam drove her to the guest house.After they had stepped out of mami’s room, she had requested nani about visiting Payal. Naniji had thought it was a good idea as they intended to prepare for Grihapravesh as per tradition. Shyam had offered to drop her.
Although Khushi had tuned out most of what Shyam had said, overwhelmed by the tumultuous emotions that assailed her, she figured that he was trying to sympathize with her for having this marriage forced upon her. For some odd reason, she felt a tingle of uneasiness nagging at her subconscious mind.
What brought her out of her numbness, however, was the revulsion she felt in her body when he placed his hand on hers, to give a light reassuring squeeze. Khushi looked up to see he had leaned in a little closer, and although his smile was pleasant enough, the look in his eyes sent a shiver of fear up her spine.
She hurriedly muttered out her thanks, as she scrambled out of the car, to run up the short path toward the front door.

A little later, Khushi sat in her bedroom, trying to assimilate what Payal had just revealed to her.
When she had entered the house and hesitatingly tried to explain to her about her marriage to Arnav, Payal, surprisingly calm, had hugged her, telling her that she was happy for them. At Khushi’s surprize, she had revealed what Akash had told her yesterday.
Her ploy to go out with Arnav for Payal’s sake, had transformed into a scandal in a small village like Katariasar, ironically becoming the big reason for mamiji’s objection.
Khushi understood now why Arnav had to marry her --- to save her reputation in mamiji’s eyes so he could remove her objections and obtain her blessing for Akash and Payal’s union.
He was doing this for his brother’s happiness –for the love and responsibility he had toward him.
Arnav was driven by a keen sense of responsibility, which even years ago had forced him stay back in India, to take care of his family and revive his dad’s factory, giving up all his dreams and aspirations of a different future. He had even tried to be responsible toward Lavanya when he had offered to marry her.
That day, in the desert, he had opened up to her about how he regretted his actions toward his parents just before their accident. This sense of responsibility had stemmed from the guilt that he had developed for not being able to apologize to his them before it was too late, and hence, the constant need to prove himself over and over again.
Hey Devi Maiyya! If only she hadn’t been hasty to go out with him, they wouldn’t have landed in this mess in the first place. He might have handled everything in his own way and solved the problem. What had she done?
There was one way to clean up this mess, thought Khushi fiercely. Once Akash and Payal were married and settled into their family life, she would find a way to give him freedom from this forced relationship.
While Khushi was lost in her thoughts, Arnav stood at the door, his face stoic, as he took in her woebegone expression in the mirror.

Desert Rose – Chapter 16

THE knock on the door, startled Khushi out of her reverie, and she lifted her head to see Arnav standing at the door.
‘Here is a saree and jewellery nani would like you to wear for the Grihapravesh,’ he said gruffly, ‘I tried to deter them but they wouldn’t budge. So let’s get it over with. I will wait downstairs while you change and pack your suitcase.’
‘Has mamiji agreed?’ Khushi asked softly.
‘Of course!’ he said arrogantly, ‘she will be working on getting the dates for the wedding.’
A little later, Khushi came down the stairs, to see Arnav staring up her. She began to feel very conscious. ‘I …..I think this saree is too grand,’ she said, trying to smooth the invisible creases.
The saree was buttery cream georgette completely embroidered with gold work in a light floral-creeper design. The rich gold border was embellished with a combination of sequins, beads and kundan work. A wave of blue above the border and pallu added a dash of colour, complemented to perfection by the sapphire and gold jewellery.
‘Beautiful….’ he said in a whisper, slurring on the ‘u’, as he stared at her in open admiration.
‘She always looks beautiful in a saree.’ Payal said, bringing him out of his trance.
‘Arnavji has asked me come and stay in the Haveli Khushi,’ Payal said shyly as Khushi came down.
‘Well, she can hardly stay here all alone.’ He said when Khushi looked at him in surprise.

The Grihapravesh ritual took place without too much fanfare, with Anjali applying tilak on their forehead before doing the aarti. Naniji asked Khushi to kick the pot or rice with her right foot before entering the house. After Arnav and Khushi entered the house, they took naniji’s blessings. Anjali took Khushi in her arms and welcomed her warmly. Next, Anjali hugged Payal, exuberantly expressing her happiness about having her stay with them.
The dinner was a grand affair with the entire family present except mamiji who had was still “recovering” from the unfortunate incident no one wanted to talk about. Khushi ate little as she practically had no appetite and was just craving for some sleep.
‘Khushiji, you will have to wait for some more time before you can sleep tonight,’ Anjali teased.
Khushi looked first with confusion and then her face went a deep red as comprehension dawned. She looked at Arnav whose face looked like it was etched in stone.
‘Di, can I talk to you alone for a minute?’ Arnav said standing up.
‘What happened, Chotte?’ asked Anjali alarmed at Arnav’s tone.
‘Now, Di.’ He rasped as he walked away toward naniji’s bedroom.

‘Di, I think you have enjoyed this Grihapravesh or whatever it was, but that’s enough, alright?’ said Arnav rudely. ‘I know what you were trying to say there at dinner. I don’t want you to go ahead and arrange for a frigging Suhaag Raat or anything like that.’
‘Chotte! Don’t take that tone with your sister,’ said nanjii as she joined them, ‘those rituals are a part of tradition.’
‘I don’t care!’
‘Of course you don’t. You never cared four years ago, when you suddenly decided to get engaged. And you didn’t care now when you came home after you were married.’
‘Nani, please,’ begged Anjali her eyes filled with tears.
Naniji continued, ‘The reason why I didn’t say anything about this marriage was because it is the right thing to do --- under the circumstances. Moreover, Anjali bitiya and I are just relieved that you even married!’
‘Well, always happy to please.’ He said sardonically.
‘Chotte!’ Anjali implored, ‘nani and I understand why you had to marry in haste. But we were hoping…..’ She paused,‘you would consider going through all the rituals along with Akash…we could have a double wedding.’
‘No way!’
‘Why not?’ Naniji said indignant at his behaviour.
‘Why the f@#$ is everyone hung up on rituals?’ Arnav lashed out.‘Do these so called rituals keep people together for ever? Is that a pre-requisite for a happy married life? Were mom and dad perfectly happy?’ He paused,‘I don’t think so.’
‘Chotte!’ Nani said horrified at what Arnav had said. She walked out of the room quietly, tears streaming down her eyes.
‘Chotte….. you shouldn’t have said that,’ Anjali said quietly, ‘you know nani doesn’t like it when you bring that up.’
‘Di, I don’t like bringing that up either,’ Arnav countered, ‘but that is the truth isn’t it? Mom put up with dad’s autocracy all her life without complaint. If she was a today’s woman, I am sure she would have divorced him.’
‘Mom put up with dad because she loved him, Chotte,’ Anjali said, appalled at her brother’s behaviour. ‘And dad loved her too, in his own way. Compromise plays a big part in a successful marriage.’
‘You should know.’
‘What is that supposed to mean?’ she asked him sharply.
‘Does staying away from each other also play a part in successful marriage?’ he said before he could stop himself.
Looking at Anjali’s stricken face Arnav realized his mistake. ‘I am sorry Di….I didn’t mean  ----’
‘I know exactly what you mean ---’ Anjali said raising her hand, ‘God! You know how to shut people up effectively, don’t you?’
‘Di…’
‘I will stop pestering you about rituals from now onward,’ she said, her face stoic, as she walked out of the room, leaving him standing there all alone.

Khushi sat in the beautiful living room quietly listening to Shyam talk about his work. She had once again tuned out, unable to muster up enough strength to even listen, let alone talk. Akash had taken a dazed Payal on a tour of the Haveli, reminding Khushi of her own feelings the first day she had come here looking for Akash less than three weeks ago.
Anjali walked up to them quietly with a smile that quiet didn’t reach her eyes. ‘Khushiji, let me show you to your room,’ she said.
Suddenly, they saw Arnav walking past, without looking once in their direction, his stride aggressive as he     banged the door shut loudly, the sound echoing through the entire house.

Anjali led Khushi up the ornate staircase, Shyam in tow, walking across the hallway to finally open the door to the bedroom. The moment Khushi stepped into the bedroom she realized she had left Rajasthan behind her.
This room reminded her of her bedroom in the guest house in the sense that it had similar classical mahagony furniture. But the similarity ended there.
While the guest house room was red and bronze, this room was dark brown and cream. The really large room, had walls painted in cream, with hardwood flooring and a huge four poster bed dominating its centre. The comforter was also in brown matching the numerous throw pillows arranged neatly in the middle of it. There was a beautiful chaise lounge in cream near the French doors that looked more like it was designed for style and elegance rather than comfort.
This room was so --- Arnav – completely masculine.
But there was one thing that caught Khushi’s attention. One of the walls was splattered with frames of black and white photographs clicked in foreign locations.
‘Those were clicked by Chotte,’ explained Anjali, her tone laced with pride. ‘His SLR camera is the one thing he never forgets when he travels.’
She then turned toward her husband, ‘Shyam, please give us a minute, will you? I would like to talk to Khushiji alone.’
‘Of course, Rani Sahiba.’ He said as he stepped out of the room.
‘I am so sorry Khushiji!’ exclaimed Anjali tears filling up her eyes. ‘If I knew it will come to this I would never have suggested that you go out with Chotte.
‘I didn’t realize about mamiji …….and that Chotte will take such extreme steps…. I am sorry.’
‘Please stop apologizing Anjaliji,’ Khushi came up to Anjali and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. ‘You suggested the plan because you wanted Akashji to be happy. It was not your fault at all. I had a choice. I need not have taken you up on that plan. But I did---for Payal’s sake. And finally, what matters is that they are going to get married. This was very important for Payal --- in the condition she is in.
‘The truth is --- I did deceive Arnavji --- which led to all this.’
‘But, Khushiji….’ Anjali began.
‘Anjaliji…..don’t worry about me…..I am fine.’ She said smiling up at her.
Anjali took her in her arms and said, ‘I have a confession to make Khushiji…. I am happy that you are my bhabhi… I meant what I said earlier…..I really can’t think of a better girl than you for my Chotte.’
After Anjali left Khushi stood silently in the room, not having an idea what she was supposed to do. Where was she to sleep? The elegant chaise lounge didn’t look very inviting but she decided that it would have to do. Khushi went into the bathroom and changed into her old clothes. She put her Devi Maiyya on the night stand, laid down on the chaise and immediately fell asleep.

Arnav paced about in his cabin at the AR office in Bikaner. It was just 24 hours since he had decided to marry and in these last 24 hours his life had already turned topsy-turvy. First, the illogical conversation with mami, and then he had ended being unnecessarily rude with nani and Di for wanting to follow marriage rituals.
He was so angry with himself right now. How were they to know that Khushi had only married him for her sister’s sake? When he had seen the woeful expression on her face this morning he had felt like someone had just punched him in the face. She had looked like a lamb being taken in for slaughter. And he…..?
He had never wanted to get married ….at all. He just wasn’t cut out for it. F@#$!He hadn’t thought through this, had he?

Khushi woke up in the morning, feeling totally refreshed, as she stretched like a Cheshire cat on the softest mattress she had ever slept on. Softest? She sat up to find herself on the big four poster bed. How had she gotten here? Had he? She looked around the room to see that the other side of the bed hadn’t been slept in.
She slid off the bed and hurried into the bathroom to shower. Khushi hadn’t really looked at the bathroom the night before when she had come in to change. The room, which was the size of her room back in Delhi, was tiled in beige with cream marble on the counter and around the tub.  It had a separate glass enclosed shower area in one corner, complete with a shower panel. The rectangular tub had a huge arched window by its side, decorated by beautiful scented candles around it.  Perfumed potpourri, fancy towels and a decorative hand wash dispenser was placed on the long marble counter that had a huge mirror that lined its entire length, above the sink.
As Khushi stepped out of the bathroom, she found Anjali waiting for her. ‘I came here to give you this saree for today’s ritual Khushiji,’ said Anjali smiling up at her. ‘Today you will have to make a sweet dish for the entire family.’
The saree was a beautiful red chiffon, dotted with gold sequins all over it and a thin gold border.
‘I will --- only if you start calling me Khushi,’ Khushi told her sister-in-law on a whim.
‘We have a deal --’ said Anjali, reminding Khushi of her brother, ‘--if you start calling me Di.’
When Khushi made a move toward the bathroom once again, Anjali went up to another door a little ways from the bathroom. She opened it for her and said, ‘You can change in the walk-in closet Khushi. There should be enough room for your clothes as well.’
When Khushi entered the closet, she was awestruck. The room looked like a small men’s wear store. One long wall was lined with shelves, drawers and rods, filled with suits, jackets, formal shirts, casual shirts, t-shirts, jeans, sportswear, shoes with matching socks all immaculately arranged. More of the same was mirrored on the opposite wall. Khushi took her case inside and put it on an empty shelf. She decided to change into the saree.

Arnav walked into the closet, taking off his shirt in one single movement. He was just about to throw the shirt into the laundry basket when he found Khushi standing at the other end, dressed only in her in–skirt and blouse, her hands behind her back.
Khushi froze when she found Arnav standing there shirtless. His body was completely covered with sweat making it obvious he had just come from the gym, reminding her of the first day she had met him.
Her eyes moved on their own volition over the powerful broad shoulders, the strong sinews of the biceps and forearms, the splattering of hair on the hard muscles of his chest that tapered down the flat planes of his stomach, vanishing into the waistband of the sweatpants riding low on his lean hips.
As her heart began its erratic dhak-dhak, Khushi quickly moved her eyes up to look into his own caramel ones, warm and alive, with a look --- she recognized too well.
Arnav’s eyes were trained soft swell of her breasts visible above the neckline of her tight blouse, as they moved in tandem with her erratic breathing, down to the planes of her flat stomach, focussing on her delectable navel just above the waistband of her in-skirt.
‘What….What are you doing here?’ Khushi stuttered and quickly turned around, exposing her back, not realizing he could still see her through the full length mirrors on the walls.
‘This is my closet if I am not mistaken,’ he said, huskily.
 He began to saunter toward her slowly, his eyes devouring her through the mirror. As he came up to stand behind her, her entire body began to quiver and she closed her eyes, clutching the sides of her in-skirt. Khushi gasped when she felt the light touch of his hands on her bare back.
‘It is done,’ he said, a catch in his throat.
Khushi opened her eyes and realized that he had hooked up her blouse. She went beet red with embarrassment and grabbed the saree from the shelf, clutching it to her breasts.
‘Khushi…. I have seen you in less.’ he said, as he grabbed a towel before walking away from her.
Khushi finally released her breath feeling a little bereft. God! She had wanted him to kiss her!

Arnav stepped into the shower cubicle and let the cold water hit his overheated body. For all the nonchalance he had displayed, he was in severe pain. His body had hardened into a throbbing arousal the moment he laid eyes on her curvaceous bare midriff and if Khushi was a more experienced woman she would have known.
He was arrested by the slimness of her ribs, accentuated by the miniscule blouse, contrasting with the gentle flare of her hips covered in the in-skirt, making him want to get down on his knees and dip his tongue into the crevices of her navel.
I am marrying you for Payal’s sake and nothing else…….
Luckily, the words she had told him yesterday came back in time to stop him.He hit his palm against the tiles in frustration. F@#$! This just wouldn’t do.

Khushi stood in the kitchen making kesari bhaat – the Rajasthani sweet delicacy, as a part of her inception into the Raizada kitchen, from a recipe she had picked up from Bhairav Chauhan.
She served all members of the family, one after the other. Mamiji who had finally decided to grace the occasion with her presence, refused to eat the sweet, leaving Khushi a little dismayed.
Finally, when she came up to Arnav, she changed the container, explaining it was made with sugar-free.
Arnav looked up at her, his eyes turning dark as he remembered the incident in the guest house kitchen, when he had mentioned to her about his diabetes. Then his eyes turned a shade darker as she bent a little to serve him the sweet rice. From when had she started wearing a frigging nose ring? She looked utterly sexy. He gritted his teeth as he saw her walk back to her chair, the creamy skin of her back exposed by the wide cut blouse, her braid swaying in tandem with her hips. F@#$!Never in a hundred years had he ever imagined he would be ogling at a woman in a saree!
Unbeknownst to Arnav, another pair of eyes watched Khushi in the same way, writhing in frustration that the beauty in red belonged to his brother-in-law and not to him.

A little later, Khushi went into Payal’s room to give her breakfast, as it was decided unanimously that she would stay in to avoid a direct confrontation with mamiji.Her morning sickness was becoming severe and Dr Manav had prescribed medication to keep the nausea down so that she could manage to eat something healthy. Soon, Akash came into the room and Khushi took her leave so she could give them some privacy.
When she came downstairs, Anjali informed her that naniji, mamiji and she were planning to go to Bikaner to meet the panditji to get the dates for Akash and Payal’s wedding. Arnav was taking them there as he had some work in the office.
Khushi went into the kitchen and began helping Hariprakash in the lunch preparation.
‘Hariprakashji, I was wondering if you could go and fetch my laundry for me?’ asked Shyam coming into the kitchen sometime later.
‘But Shyamji, the dry cleaner is far and I have to prepare lunch,’ said Hariprakash, ‘is it ok if I go and get it in the afternoon?’ he asked him.
‘No, it is no ok,’ grated Shyam. ‘Would I be asking you if it was not urgent?’
‘But ----’ Hariprakash looked at Khushi helplessly.
‘It’s alright Hariprakashji, I will manage lunch.’ Khushi interposed trying to put the flustered man at ease.
After Hariprakash left, Shyam looked at Khushi, her back turned to him as she busied herself with cooking.
 ‘I am really sorry Khushiji,’ he said suddenly. When Khushi turned around, her eyebrows scrunched up in surprise, he said, ‘for all that had happened in this house.’
He continued, ‘Firstly, for Anjali’s carelessness in sending you with Arnav after knowing very well the kind of person he is. The problem is she can’t see him for what he is because she is so blinded by her sisterly love.
‘Secondly, for my brother-in-law’s behaviour for which there is no excuse. I was just going to convince mamiji in a couple of days. But what he did to you just messed everything up. Seducing young girls and then discarding them is no big deal for him.’
‘Shyamji,’ said Khushi as the prickly feeling assailed her again, ‘thank you for your concern but please don’t beat yourself over it anymore. I am fine.’ She hoped he would leave it at that.
‘How can you be fine Kushiji?’ he persisted coming closer. ‘He has entered into a marriage with you and everyone in this house knows that he gives a damn about it.
‘If he did -- would he have left you all alone yesterday night and spent the night with someone else?’
‘Please Shyamji,’ said Khushi taking a step backward, her heart twisted in excruciating pain, ‘I ---’ Khushi heard the front door bell ring.
Shyam went up to the main door and opened the door to see Anjali, mamji and Naniji had returned.

‘I have good news,’ Naniji said affably, ‘Panditji has said there are some good dates for Akash and Payal’s wedding in a week’s time.’
At Khushi’s silence Anjali said, ‘Don’t worry Khushiji....er..Khushi, now that you will be there to help me we can do this easily.’
Though Khushi couldn’t help smiling at Anjali’s enthusiasm, she was finding it difficult to get rid of the pain lodged in the region of her heart.

That night, as Khushi prepared for bed, Shyam’s words came back to her.
Would he have left you all alone yesterday night….
She smiled sadly as she recalled the circumstances of their marriage. Arnav had married only for Akash’s happiness and he was not going to sacrifice his life treating this like a real marriage. She would be his wife in name only. But why was this intuition not making it any easier on her heart? She took the blanket and settled on the chaise.
‘Get back on the bed Khushi,’ said Arnav walking into the room with his lap top. ‘I don’t want to lose sleep wondering when you are going to topple off.’
‘Then why don’t you go off to wherever you get “good” sleep,’ came the muffled reply from under the blanket. God! That had begun to bug her.
‘Excuse me?’
‘I am fine here,’ she said a little louder, burrowing further into the corner.
Suddenly, Khushi found herself being lifted off the chaise, as Arnav carried her and dumped her unceremoniously on the bed. ‘If you wanted to be in my arms, all you had to do was ask,’ he quipped, his mouth twisted in lop sided smile.
‘Arnavji!’ Khushi’s eyes flashed with anger as she scrambled off the high bed and stomped toward the chaise.
‘If we had a competition for the number of times you walk back to the chaise and the number of times I carry you back, I have this strangest feeling I am going to win.’ He drawled as he began walking toward her.
Khushi scurried back to the bed without a fuss. She arranged the throw pillows in the centre creating a wall between the two sides, and lay on the bed, muttering to herself.
Had she just called him Laad Governor? Arnav wondered, looking at his wife’s shapely figure under the blanket.



3 comments:

  1. Superb updates. 😊 This story is becoming more of intense and passionate . Both khushi and Arnav are awesome. I so want their misunderstanding to get cleared. Looking forward to the next updates. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope too that Arnav and Khushi can sort out their differences and that, that awful Shaym can just mind his own business and stop being a snake. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. I’m obsessed 😍

    ReplyDelete