Image

Image
Click on image to return to main menu

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Desert Rose Chapters 25 - Epilogue


Desert Rose – Chapter 25

KHUSHIhurried out of the lobby and found herself approached by the hotel manager asking her if they should get her car around. Khushi was about to ask him if he could get her a taxi when she heard a familiar voice from behind.
‘That won’t be necessary,’ Arnav told the manager and as the man stepped away, he turned toward Khushi, ‘I think you forgot the way back to our tab le.’ He extended his hand peremptorily toward her. ‘Shall we?’
‘I…. I need to go back home.’ Khushi said firmly, ignoring his hand.
‘Khushi, we need to talk,’ Arnav said, his mouth a thin line, ‘unless you want to create a scene here, you better walk back inside with me.’
‘I don’t care!’ Khushi shot back even though her hands were clammy with nervousness.
‘Well….’ Arnav said looking her straight in the eye, ‘neither do I.’ Before Khushi could realize what he meant to do, he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder.
‘Arnavji! Put me down.’ Khushi begged as Arnav stepped into lobby and headed for the elevator.  People in the lobby had begun to stare at them and Khushi wished the ground would open up and swallow her.
Arnav lowered Khushi down after he stepped into the elevator already occupied by a family. ‘It’s a family tradition,’ he the onlookers who were trying hard not to stare, ‘for the groom to carry the bride on her --- first night.’
Khushi went beet red as she realized how they must look to the family, she in a bridal lehenga and Arnav in a suit.
As Khuhsi looked at Arnav she couldn’t take her eyes away from him. His suit was a black designer one and the shirt he wore inside was also black , with a chinese collar, the top two buttons undone. Though he had gelled his hair, he seemed to have mussed it so a few of the wayward strands fell across his forehead giving him a boyish look in spite of the hardness of his features. He had his customary stubble and he had never looked more handsome than he was at this moment.
Her dhak-dhak began and then skipped a beat when Arnav came toward her and picked her up again.
Khushi felt the stares of the family boring into their backs and gritted her teeth with frustration.Laad Governor was just incorrigible!
Her anger rose as the elevator doors closed and they were all alone in the corridor.
‘Put me down right away!’ she exclaimed trying to wriggle out of his arms.
His hold on her tightened, but he didn’t let her go. ‘I will put you down in just a minute.’ When they reached the room he put her down and fished out a key from the jacket pocket. When she made a move to step back he swept her up once again and entered the room and put her down on the huge bed.
Khushi was awestruck looking the beautifully decorated room, with scented candles scattered all over. She had no doubt it was the honeymoon suite.
‘Why did you bring me here?’ she asked him standing up.
He looked at the bed and then back at her. ‘Why did you think?’ Looking at her eyes flash with anger he reiterated. ‘I am kidding! I just want to talk.’
‘But, I don’t want to talk to you.’ Khushi shot back angrily.
‘Khushi,’ began Arnav, ‘please sit down and we can talk about this calmly.’
‘Calmly?’ Khushi said moving to the far end of the room. ‘What was all that back there? All that drama.’
‘What drama?’
 ‘You planned it all, didn’t you? You sent Akash pretending to have left for the US so you could trick me into working for your damn fashion event.’
‘There was no trick. I did really go to the US Khushi, but ----‘
‘There was really no show stopper was there?’ she said as realization dawned. ‘That was why the clothes fit me perfectly. I should have known.’
‘The moment you showed me the design I had made up my mind that you -- and only you would be my show stopper.’ Arnav said quietly.
‘Why did you announce to everyone that I was the designer? AR usually doesn’t do that.’
‘You deserved it.’
‘What gave you the right to announce a new clothing line with my name?’ she asked him her eyes still flashing.
‘With the right that I have as your husband!’ he bit out, his own anger rising.
‘You gave up that right when you told me you wished I have never entered your life!’ Khushi raged.
‘I am sorry Khushi,’ Arnav said his voice anguished. ‘I didn’t mean that …. I ----’
‘You said I was like ……Lavanya’ Khushi whispered, tears welling up in her eyes.
‘Khushi,’ Arnav said in a strangled voice, ‘you need to understand my state of mind. The night you came into the study…..I had just found Lavanya’s letter. She was not only cheating on me but was also cheating me…….right from the beginning. Our entire relationship was based on a lie. My mind was completely messed up that night. Unfortunately, she hadn’t mentioned Shyam’s name.’ He  added.
‘As if that would have made any difference to you,’ Khushi said. ‘I don’t know if you would have believed a delusional woman like Lavanya when you didn’t believe me when I told you.’
‘Khushi…..I…’
‘I doesn’t matter Arnavji,’ said Khushi cutting him off. ‘I understand why you don’t believe me. I really do. After all I had given you enough reason in the past.’
‘Khushi, I didn’t mean that! Arnav raked his hand in frustration. ‘We have been over this and I already apologized to you for that.’
‘Yes you did and I accepted and thought you had put it behind you,’ she accused him.
‘What was I supposed to do?’ Arnav said taking a step toward her. ‘You and Manav were hiding information from me. That day in Anjali’s party, you were both talking about something very important and you refused to divulge that information. Later, at Junagarh he spoke as if you meant something to him.
‘So when I saw that video I just …..lost it.’
‘I didn’t tell you at the time because I thought you wouldn’t believe me about Shyam and the other thing was it was about…..Di.’
‘I know.’
 ‘Anyway all that is water under the bridge now. Whatever happened because of the video was Shyam’s fault. I don’t hold it against you.’
‘Khushi, listen to me,’ Arnav pleaded, ‘I ----’
‘You were right when you said marriage is about trust.’ Khushi prevaricated. ‘But our marriage wasn’t a real one, was it? We only married for the sake of Akash and Payal.’
‘When you offered to marry me I wasn’t aware. It was only after we were married I found out from Payal that the night we had spent in the desert had turned into scandal.
‘I figured that this was the reason why mamiji had opposed the marriage in turn forcing you to propose to me.
‘I had planned to leave you once Payal was settled in her household ---so you could have your freedom.’
‘How very noble of you.’He said quietly.
‘But,’ she continued, ‘I got a little selfish when I realized that Payal needed my support to handle mamiji. Thankfully you intervened and solved the problem.’
‘Always glad to be of some service.’
Khushi’s anger was rising. ‘But you no longer have to sacrifice your dreams for a marriage you were forced upon Arnavji.’
‘Now you have lost me.’ Arnav said his brows snapping together in confusion. ‘What dreams?’
‘Seven years ago, you wanted to settle down in America. But you couldn’t because of your responsibilities. Now you don’t have anything to hold you back.
‘But I do.’
 ‘I will release you from this marriage. You can go and live the life you have always dreamed of --- with Jenny.’
‘I can’t.’
‘Why not?’ Khushi said exasperated with him. ‘If you think it is because we are married, I already told you ---‘
‘He walked up to her in a few quick strides and grabbed her arms. ‘I can’t because I am not in love with Jenny. I am in love with you!’
‘What?’ Khushi couldn’t believe what she had just heard.
‘I think I have loved you for a long time now. But I hadn’t realized it until some time back. Even then it has been difficult for me to say the words. I -----’
‘I love you Khushi.’
Khushi shrugged off his hand and started pummelling his chest, tears flowing easily down her cheeks. Arnav let her continue, wanting her to vent out her feelings at long last.
‘I deserve this and more.’
Khushi stopped, the fight going out of her completely as she snaked her arms around his back in a tight embrace.
‘I can’t bear to think that I might have lost you because of my insane jealousy!’ Arnav wrapped his hands around her gingerly. ‘Love makes you do crazy things.’
‘But you came,’ Khushi mumbled into his chest. ‘You saved my life.’
‘If I hadn’t been able to save you I swear I would have killed that b@#$%&% and killed myself after that! I couldn’t have lived without you Khushi.’
‘Arnavji please don’t say such things,’ Khushi said clutching him tighter. ‘What made you come?’
‘You,’ he said softly, ‘That day I felt like you were calling out to me.
‘I had already realized my mistake and was trying to call you. But you didn’t pick up my calls. I don’t know why but I had to see you right away. I just came.’
‘I knew you would come.’
‘Khushi,’ Arnav began slowly, ‘Can I hope that you still love me after everything I have done?’
Khushi tried to keep her face expressionless. ‘Still love you? When did I say I loved you?’
‘You said that Manav … the video……’ He stopped when she saw a mischievous smile steal into her lips. ‘Khushi please…’ he begged.
‘I love you.’ Khushi said simply, putting him out of his misery.
Arnav took a step back, his chocolate brown eyes melting her insides.
He went down on his knees and took her hand in his. ‘Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada….. I love you very much. Would you please do me the honour of marrying me …..again?’
Her breath was in her throat. It was the way he stared at her. As if she was the only woman in the world.
‘Yes Arnavji,’ Khushi said smiling down at him. ‘But can I go home now?’
‘What the ----?’
‘The thing is….. this dress and jewellery are really really heavy. I want to go home so I can change.’
 ‘Now, this is the kind of problem I can solve easily.’ He swept her up in his arms and carried her over to the bed and laid her on it.
Khushi sat up startled. ‘Arnavji, what are you doing?’
You said the jewellery was heavy,’ Arnav said huskily as he removed his jacket and laid it on a chair, ‘as your husband it is my duty to help you take them off, don’t you think?’
Khushi blushed when she realized what he was saying.
As he had promised Arnav began by unclasping her maang teeka after lowering her chunri from her head. He kissed her forehead right next to her sindoor. Next, he took off her earrings one after the other, giving her tiny kisses each time.
Then moving so that he was sitting behind her, he took her long lustrous black braid in his hands and gently moved it to her front. He unclasped the hook on her necklace and removed it, placing his lips on her nape, he traced a line over her shoulder, down her arm and slid the bangles off her wrists.
Khushi’s dhak-dhak had started in earnest and her breast heaved up and down.
He then moved back behind her to undo the single dori that held her blouse together. Khushi clutched her blouse to her chest and gasped aloud. Arnav moved his palms down her back,the roughness of his palm creating havoc down her smooth and creamy skin. He then took her braid in his hands, unravelling it so it fell down in a dark waterfall down her back.
Arnav lay Khushi down on the pillow, her hair splayed like a cloud around her head. As he made a move to take her hands away from her chest, Khushi whispered, ‘Arnavji…..’
Arnav understood her concern and got up from the bed to light some candles before switching off all the lights in the room.
‘Is this okay?’ he asked her as he moved her hands away and peeled her blouse down her arms.
Her skin glowed like gold in the light of the candles and Khushi shied away from the look in Arnav’s eyes.
He traced a finger down the centre of her rib cage until he reached her belly button. His hand spanned the breadth of her tiny waist before he unclasped the hook of her silver waist band. As he placed feather kissed on her quivering stomach, he found the ties to her lehenga and pulled at the strings. After sliding the skirt off down her hips he disposed off with the tiny scrap of lace leaving her completely naked for his perusal.
As always her beauty never ceased to amaze him. He wanted her. All of her, not just her body, but her heart and soul and her mind. His Desert Rose.
He began to undress. It was exhilarating to watch her and simply enjoy the lush sight.  The candlelight played lovingly over the curves and hollows of her body, touching and caressing with flickering light. His hands were gentle as they shaped her, moved over her, following the playful light. ‘Do you know how beautiful you are tome, Khushi?’
She cradled his jaw between her palms and brought him closer. Her tongue darted out to trace the outline of his lips. ‘I have always wanted to do that.’ Khushi whispered in a caressing tone, ‘you have beautiful lips.’
His mouth came down on hers hot and avid. Her lips parted, eager for the kiss. His tongue sank deeply into the warm sanctuary of her mouth, and a groan escaped from his throat. Her fingers slipped into the crisp hair at the back of his head, holding it hard against hers, while she returned his kiss with equal ardour.They drank greedily of each other as his tongue explored the roof of her mouth and her tongue slid along tasting him.
Groaning, he released her mouth to bury his face in the hollow between her breasts, to breathe of her fragrance. Arching her back, she urged his mouth toward an achingly aroused nipple. Murmuring her name thickly, his breath scalding her skin, he gladly gave her what she wanted. His mouth closed over the engorged bud, and she couldn’t help letting out a moan of delight. As he began to suckle, heat pooled in the pit of her stomach and she felt a sharp answering throb deep in her core.
His hand caressed her moist entrance, long, slow strokes even as his tongue laved the clenched bud soothingly.
The wild tumult that was building inside her was spiralling out of control and it was both terrifying and too exciting to be borne.
‘Oh….oh,’ she breathed.
Khushi shivered with pleasure, as she felt the double onslaught over her skin, leisurely, casually, as if he had all the time in the world to enjoy her body. She gasped as his tongue traced a wet line down her rib cage and dipped into her belly button and then without warning he dipped lower, the sensation nearly lifting her off the bed.
‘Arrrnav…!’ she gasped tugging at his hair in shock.
‘Relax ….Khushi,’ he murmured and holding her hips firmly he continued his ministrations.
Her hands tangled deeper into his hair, her head thrown back, her back arched, her breasts jutting temptingly as she moved.
She made a sound, somewhere between a scream and a moan, and her fingers tightened in his hair as her body erupted into quake after quake. He pinned her hips, taking his time worshipping her body, heightening the pleasure in every possible way he knew.
As her eyes pleaded with him to take her, begged for his possession, Arnav settled his body over hers. Felt her softness, her skin nearly melting under his. He thrust into her in swift stroke, deep and hard. Long strokes designed to drive them both out of their minds. Take them from the reality of the world into another of heat and fire and passion where nothing else mattered and she was wholly his.
Khushi heard her own voice crying out, heard a sound in his throat as the flames engulfed them, as the world exploded around them leaving behind colours and lights and so much pleasure she could only lie there gasping for breath and staring up at his face. Wave after wave of pleasure shook her, an explosion of shocks, leaving her locked with him, sated, happy. Belonging.
She wrapped her arms around him tightly as if she could keep him there, in the same skin with her, the same body while their hearts pounded frantically.
A little later, as their heartbeats slowed down, he rolled off her and drew the comforter over their bodies.Khushi tilted her head back to look at him. Arnav smoothed her hair away from her face. Smiling she gazed at him, her eyes soft and dazed from his loving. His fingers lay along her jawline as he cupped her chin and lowered his mouth to hers. This time the kiss was sweet and tender.
‘Khushi?’ He kissed her eyes closed. His voice was thick with the swelling of emotion in his throat. ‘Did I hurt you?’
‘No,’ she murmured on a sigh and opening her eyes, she smiled at him again. She couldn’t seem to stop smiling. She lifted her hand to his cheek and whispered shyly. ‘It was wonderful.’
He pulled her closer, drawing her into the curve of his body. ‘Say you’ll never leave me again, please.’ He pleaded softly.
She understood the full meaning of his words. She rested her head on his shoulder. ‘I won’t, Arnavji.’
‘Khushi, you told me earlier that you knew I would come for you that night. After Shyam was handed over to the police and the truth had come out, why did you leave? Were you punishing me for not trusting in you?’
‘No Arnavji.I left because I didn’t want you to sacrifice your dreams.’
‘Khushi ….’ Arnav said smiling at her tenderly. ‘That was a long time ago. Di must have told you. Whatever gave you the idea that I wanted to leave now?’
‘I heard you and Jenny talking at Junagarh palace.’
‘F@#$!’ Arnav swore under his breath.
‘You said you couldn’t go and settle down in the US because you were married,’ she said in a low voice. ‘You said you had no choice.’
‘Then later Shyam confirmed my fears when he said you would leave me and go away to the US to be with Jenny.’
‘God Khushi is that why you left?  Jenny is a very good friend and that’s it. I have never ever loved her. She is the one who convinced me that the feelings I had for you is love.’
At Khushi’ s look of surprise he said, ‘Yes, if you had listened to the complete conversation you might have heard this part of the conversation as well.’
‘I think I loved you from the beginning, but I was afraid of my feelings. After what I went through with Lavanya I was scared to trust.
She held him, listening raptly as he talked.
‘I don’t know exactly when I started to fall in love with you. It could have been when I saw you dancing on the bed to “chikni chameli”….. with my sister and Payal looking on, laughing with abandon. I hadn’t seen my sister laugh like that in ages. Or it could have been when you made that sumptuous aloo-poori. Or who knows it could have been the day you barged into my gym and gave me a lashing thinking I was Akash.
He continued. ‘The day I came to the guest house, to tell you that I had decided to let Akash and Payal meet each other, it was because I wanted to hold on to you longer. I wanted you so much. But when I saw you holding Keshav’s baby in your arms I knew --- I wanted you to be holding our child.
His chest hair was rough against her cheek.‘It was the same for me Arnavji. It was when we were driving toward the desert from Keshavji’s house that I realized I loved you.’ Khushi reminisced.
‘I should have known that you wouldn’t have given yourself to me like that if you didn’t have feelings for me. I am an idiot for not having realized that earlier.’
‘You were in so much pain Arnavji and I couldn’t help comforting you.’ She said simply.
Arnav’s heart constricted at Khsuhi’s words. ‘Though I hadn’t planned what happened in the desert that night, I am glad it did happen. Thanks to that scum bag Guman and my dear own mami, I found the perfect opportunity to keep you with me.I decided to marry you. I knew you wouldn’t agree for less. When you refused I panicked. You said you’d rather marry that ……sweet stall guy. I have never ever been afraid of anyone --- let alone an unknown man in my life before. I resorted to black mail. I was desperate.’
‘Is that why you proposed to me?’ Khushi asked her eyes going wide, ‘Not because of mamiji?’
‘Khushi ---no one ever forces me to do anything – least of all mami,’ he said arrogantly, ‘with the exception of you of course,’ he added hastily.
‘And after we were married, you began to matter more and more to me with each passing day. The day you were stuck in the attic – my heart almost stopped with fear when I realized you were up there in the darkness.
‘That is what I meant by ---I had no choice. I had no choice but to love you.’
Tears welled up in Khushi’s eyes thinking about the time they had lost due to so much misunderstanding. ‘Arnavji, the last week was dreadful. I tried to convince myself that no matter how much I loved you I had to give you up. I have never been so unhappy in my life.’
He gave her a hug. ‘Me either, sweetheart.’ He closed his eyes.
‘Arnavji, I want to ask you the same question that Jenny asked you. Seven years ago you wanted to go and settle down in US. But you couldn’t. Have you abandoned that plan?’
‘When Jenny had asked me this question I told her that I was married. What I meant was --- now that I was married how could I answer that question without asking you first.’
‘Ask me?’
‘Yes, ask you if you would share my dream and aspirations and come along with me.’
‘Arnavji!’ Khushi exclaimed in surprize.
‘Don’t worry I will not keep you away from India for long. Maybe just a couple of years. I want to show you the world I left behind. We could travel. I ----’
‘Arnavji!’ Khushi said firmly holding a hand to his cheek. ‘I love you. I will go wherever you want to go.’
‘Really?’ His relief was very obvious. ‘Then before going to the US let’s go backpacking through Europe. I think that trip is seven years overdue.’
Backpacking to Europe? Hey Devi Maiyya!
‘Once we get back to Raisar the first thing we do is get married with all the proper rituals. You have no idea of the beating I got from Di and nani regarding this.’
He kissed her cheek. ‘But I am going to be doing this only for you Khushi. As I said no one forces me to do anything.’
Always the Laad Governor, thought Khushi. But the important thing was he was hers.
Khushi ‘s heart filled with joy. She heard fatigue in his voice. Her fingertips smoothed the lines at the corner of his eye. ‘You need to rest now.’
‘But we have to discuss the wedding plans.’
She laid a finger lightly on his lips. ‘Shh….later.’
‘Khushi I ---’ Arnav said drawing her closer against his side.
 ‘I know. I love you too. Always.’ she whispered.
With his warmth all around her and his scent in her nostrils, she lay in the stillness of the bedroom as Arnav slept beside her. As she moved a wayward hair from his forehead, she looked at his face. His beloved face. She loved every rugged edge, every scar, the raspy stubble he could never quite get rid of.
She thought of the long ago time in Delhi when she used to dream of a baazigar -- eyes the colour of molten chocolate that had made her heart go dhak-dhak as they burned into the very depths of her soul. At the time she had thought that she was running after a dream.
It was no longer true.
Because reality was much better than any of her wildest dreams….


Desert Rose -Epilogue

Three years later…..

ARNAV Singh Raizada had been driving for almost one and half hours..He turned his head to see Khushi dozing peacefully in the passenger seat. He didn’t know what he done to deserve Khushi. Deserve happiness. His thoughts went back three years ago….

He had managed to give Khushi her dream wedding and had whisked her away to their belated honey moon to Europe. Khushi had been enthralled by the two week trip through London, Amsterdam, Paris, Switzerland, Venice, and Rome.They had packed to the hilt for their final destination in the US. So much for a backpacking trip!
Then they had gone to the US, where they had rented a house in the suburbs close to the beautiful city of Charlotte in North Carolina known for its lush greenery.
Khushi had adapted to her new environment quickly and in her usual exuberance had earned herself friends in the neighbourhood.
She was slowly getting used to wearing western clothes and Arnav realized that except for the height, Khushi was no less than one of the models at AR.
On his birthday she had arranged for a surprise party for him with some of their neighbours and close friends present. But his gift turned out to be Khushi looking like a Barbie doll wearing a short pink dress, silver high heels and her long curled to fall delicately around her face. His stomach had done flip flops and while cutting his cake he had wished that everyone would just go home leaving him alone with Khushi.
They had travelled like crazy.
During fall they had gone ridingon a Harley-Davidson bike, through the Blue Ridge parkway to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee where they had rented a beautiful chalet up in the mountains. He remembered it had taken him some time to convince Khushi that there was no one around to see them if they wanted to use the outdoor hot tub kept on the deck. They had spent their evenings snuggled together in one comforter watching as darkness slowly invaded the fall foliage.
They had flown to Boston to spend Thanksgiving with Jenny’s family. He had taken her to the University campus and they had gone trekking in the Middlesex Fells Forest Reservation.
One Christmas was spent in Manhattan where they walked hand in hand in the snow in time square, drank coffee in the cozy coffee shops, watched the skaters in the skating rink by the giant Christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center.He had taken Khushi to see the famous broad way show -- Phantom of the Opera. He remembered how Khushi had cried in the end, saddened by the Phantom’s unrequited love for the heroine Christine who loved her childhood sweetheart Raoul. In this trip Khushi had been upset that they had forgotten to take their camera but he hadn’t regretted it. The memories of this trip was etched in his mind forever.
Couple of months later they had driven to Snow Shoe mountain in West Virginia where Khushi had failed miserably in the ski lessons she took. She looked cute in her snow pants and jacket but her face was frozen and her nose had turned red in the -9 degree wind chill. After falling backward a couple of time she had given up. She had satisfied herself with sitting inside the warm hotel lounge sipping a cup of tea, watching him come down the slope. Later that night, having obtained a room with a view of the slope in the ski lodge, they had lain in the darkness, entwined in their warm bed watching skiers skiing under flood light.
This sojourn to the US had allowed him to expand AR considerably, while Khushi worked on her new clothing line, catering solely to NRI clients in the US. During one business trip to California he had taken Khushi along and they had converted it into sightseeing trip covering parts of Arizona and Nevada as well.
Last summer,their family had visited them and they had taken them through the usual sightseeing destinations like Washington DC, New York, Niagra Falls and Disney World.
At Disney World Khushi had transformed into a little girl, wanting to go on all rides, tireless and enthusiastic till the park closing time. She hadn’t allowed anyone to take a single break as they park hopped for five whole days.
Butafter they had left, Khushi had begun to feel home sick. He had realized thatit was time to go back home……

The blare of a horn brought him out of his reverie and he realized driving on the Jaipur-Delhi highway -- place which was a stark contrast to the one they had just left. The climate was dry and humid as it always was in the desert.Driving through the inhospitable landscape, with miles and miles of burning hot sands and long summers, he knew one thing for sure – this is what he identified with. This washome.
Today,on their parents’ ten year anniversary the entire family had decided to visit the memorial to pay their respects.
When Arnav passed the Reliance petrol pump, he took a U-turn to reach the road leading toward the small village of Bawal, parking the SUV a little further from the Durgamandir. He alighted the vehicle and walked around to the passenger side to open the door.
Khushi took his hand and smiled up at him. It seemed to him that she was growing more beautiful with each passing year. She glowed like a pearl in her red anarkali suit.
They were joined by Akash, Payal, Anjali and Manav --along with their little girls, two and half year old Arushi and one and half year old Manvi.
Looking at his nieces, his thoughts went back to the time Payal had given birth to her baby girl.
Khushi and he had come down from the US as Khushi had been particular about doing everything that their mother would have done if she were alive. Even though Payal had Anjali and aconsiderably subdued mother-in-law at her side, she had heaved a sigh of relief when she saw Khushi. They had named her Arushi in the honour of her aunt and uncle.
A few weeks after Arushi was born, the Haveli saw another major event – the wedding of Anjali and Manav. It had taken six months for Manav to convince Anjali to say yes to him. He hadn’t pressed her in the beginning allowing her to grieve the loss of a relationship for whatever it was worth. But when he had finally told her that he had waited more than ten years and that another ten years was not really going to be a problem for him, she had promptly accepted and put him out of his misery. The wedding took place in the Haveli, in the presence of close family and friends.
A year later, they had to make another trip to Raisar-- for the birth of their second niece.
When Anjali had found out she was pregnant she had been so shocked she had asked Manav to double check the results of the test. Manav and she had realized that the earlier reports of her inability to conceive might have been tampered by Shyam. Anjali had sent a silent prayer to the Gods for saving her from a disaster. They had both fought on the name. Manav had wanted to name her Anya and Anjali wanted Manvi. Anjali had won.
Khushi had been there for Anjali as well, as based on her prior experience with Payal,she seemed to think she was some sort of an expert in helping pregnant women through childbirth. She had been right in a way, as his nani was too old, Payal already overwhelmed with responsibility of a year old baby and his indolent mami, as usual clueless about the care of people, let alone a pregnant woman. Even Anjali had been relieved to have Khushi at her side.
After the birth of Manvi, Anjali and Manav had hosted a grand dinner at their new home they had built a short distance away from the Haveli. The look on Anjali’s face as she showed them around was absolutely priceless.
These trips to India had allowed him to see that Akash had become more responsible. Arnav didn’t know if it was fatherhood or the fact that Anjali and he weren’t around to mollycoddle him. Whatever it was, Akash had finally grown up.

Seven years ago he had come to this very same spot to achieve some sort of closure regarding his parents’ untimely death.
At the time he had thought the accident had changed the course of his life.He had been angry with God for taking away his parents and forcing him into a life of responsibilities crushing his hopes and aspirations.He had been wrong.
Nothing could change what had happened with his parents. Khushi had taught him through the purity in her heart that whatever life throws your way you handle with pride and determination, never once compromising on values. She had taught him to be more optimistic in life.
His war with God had ended so that he could have a new beginning in life – with Khushi, with his family and himself.

He looked up at the rough, gravelly path leading up to the slope, to the Desert Rose tree still and serene.Under the tree he saw his family standing together paying homage to their loved ones. Anjali and Manav holding their daughter stood on the right. Payal and Akash holding their daughter stood on the left. Khushi stood in the centre.
Though Arnav’s heart constricted wishing their parents were alive to see their grandchildren he consoled himself knowing that they were in a better place, watching over them.
He saw all them except Khushi walking back.As he watched her standing quietly, her red dupatta flying crazily, he saw her taking a step backward……
Hecovered the distance between them in seconds and his hands enveloped her from behind to rest possessively on her stomach.
Khushi’s hands covered his own. ‘Arnavji…’ Her dhak-dhak began as she felt his heart beating at her back.
‘Khushi….the first time I saw you here --- I thought you looked absolutely exquisite --- with your huge almond shaped eyes and lips as pink as the Desert Rose. I wanted to kiss you so badly.’
‘After I saw you here, I used to dream of you often.’
‘You know what I think Khushi? The moment you fell into my arms I think I was touched by an angel. Nothing bad ever happened to me after that. Thank you for saving me sweet heart.’
He continued. ‘You should never have left me. Why did you run away?’
‘I was afraid.’
‘Of me?’
‘No – of me.’ She paused.‘Because I wanted to kiss you too.’
‘Well….better late than never.’ Arnav bent his head and kissed the corner of her lips.
‘Arnavji!’ she admonished, ‘you have to remember we are back in India now. You will have control yourself.’Laad Governor!
‘Don’t worry,theyare busy with those bawling brats.’ His tone was acrimonious.
‘We could also have had one by now,’ she sighed.
‘Khushi,’ Arnav began, trying to be patient, ‘Payal got pregnant accidentally and Di…..’ He paused. ‘…. was running out of time.’
‘Did you want to be pregnant at twenty two and miss all that we were able to do together in the last three years?’
‘No,’ she sighed, ‘I wouldn’t want to miss it for the world.’
She remembered something. ‘Why did you rush up here all of a sudden?’
‘Nothing, I thought you were going to slip.’
‘As long as you are there we never have to worry about anything,’ she said rubbing her hand on her tummy.
Arnav’s heart skipped a beat when he felt the sudden movement from inside his wife’s six month pregnant belly. He was so sure it was going to be a boy. 
‘Always.’As Khushi looked up,he bent down to place a gentle kiss on her lips. ‘I will always be there for you my sweet Desert Rose.’


The End


29 comments:

  1. Magical Really!! Beautiful! Exquisite like Desert Rose...
    I always think people cannot write any better when i come across a good writer but I writers like you always prove me wrong....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Desert Rose" the title itself is so beautiful. I read it at one go. Its going to be one of my fav FF which I am gong to remember n will keep in mind. A good writer always brings out the best and thats what u did with a story like this. Thank u for the awesome FF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read Desert Rose for the 4th time.
    U r the one of the best writer in IF.hope u will back for us.since u finished MR I reread ur all story.this is the 4th row.

    IF-naj84

    Plssssssss,come back soon if u can.
    All the best.TC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, what a lovely story. Read it from start to finish.An enchanting story set in the backdrop of Rajasthan, superb. LOVED Khushis character, the little sister who looked after her older one. Loved Arnav a ferocious older brother, and astute business man, still into his plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...came across this story on one of the writers' must-read list. & I'm so glad I decided to give it a read. It's a wonderful story.
    The backdrop of Rajasthan's rustic beauty just makes it more marvellous!
    The plot is well-planned and all the character portrayals are really good.
    It's interesting to see how both Arnav and Khushi lost their parents in the same way but how they dealt with the loss was so different. In a sense, they both became heads of their families, took up responsibilities...but while Khushi did it with love and determination (in spite of being the younger one); Arnav became angry, resentful, cynical. It took Khushi's love and care for him to realise that life is too short to let all these things weigh you down.
    I loved how their story progressed, how their bond developed, i liked how Arnav didn't just abandon his old dreams instead he made Khushi a part of them. It's heartening how they found more than what they had ever hoped for with each other.
    Lovely story!! Great job! :) Thanks for sharing it with us. Looking forward to read more of your work.
    -UV_Arshi (IF)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for late comment.. very interesting amazing story this one was.. loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story is pure Arshi magic! Beautifully written by a very talented writer. I have fallen in love with this SS. I will need to reread it... Thank you so much for this touching story. Cheers, Chanya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, breathtaking story. Thoroughly enjoyed it and loved it. I had heard so much about this story and I can easily say that it was far more brilliant than I had imagined. You are an extremely gifted writer and blessed by God. Very rarely one comes across talent like yours. I am so glad that as a reader I had the privilege of reading your writing. Seriously I had a smile throughout the entire story. Thank you so much for that and please keep writing for readers like me. :):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG... desert rose was your story too...Omg Omg...I got hooked to it until the end...thank u for writing and sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a story! One of the best i have read in a while! Greatly enjoyed.. was so realistic amd perfectly written!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time I read it, feels the same way when I first read it! Wonderful story, beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey dear read the story dear..very well written..you are the best writer ..loved the chracters, emotions, twist n turns...you write so perfect dear...i am getting ddicted to your work..i have commented on IF but you are not activethere so thought to comment here as well

    ReplyDelete
  13. read ur story in a single go.......
    an amazing story definitely

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read this story so many times and every time I can't put it down before the end. A very beautiful piece indeed

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how to contact you so I am writing here hope you read it.
    Your story 'desert rose' is being posted on Myeduniya.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi. i have been trying for quite some time but am unable to contact you. i wan to request access to read your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely piece of work!!Our fav couple with Rajasthani backdrop..You just can't read it in pieces. You end up reading the complete story in one shot. Happened with me.. :-)
    Would love to read your other work as well.
    Much love,
    Mili.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was so good reading this again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Superb This beautiful story still ranks top 2 out of all the beautiful Arshi stories I have read. You are indeed a very talented author. Thank you.
    email: judywrose@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A cult story on ARSHI...loved throughout...can you give the link of your story mansoon rain??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely story.. can anyone tell me how can I read Monsoon rain?? I mean where?? .. I have read it once on Indiaforum but now it removed from there.. where can I get the story?? Plz tell me anyone.. I am dying to read it..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Read it again. Wonderful writer. Thanks so much for the awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful story..the way you have written every line is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the 4th time I read this ff

    ReplyDelete
  25. I reread this FF today ...I just needed to read something light and romantic
    I must say moved me again
    This is AnjuRish from IF not sure if u rem me

    ReplyDelete
  26. I say it again. You are a wonderful writer. Very intense intriguing romantic. Yes I have read it again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your work. I read it again and again whenever I feel low. Thank you so much for this creation.

    ReplyDelete